St. Mary's Healthcare System for Children is one of the nation's premier providers of intensive rehabilitation and specialized care for children and families with special needs and life-limiting conditions. Following hospitalizations in acute care facilities for complications from premature birth, illness, and injury, or when special services are needed, children and their families come to St. Mary's to receive care, learn to manage their illness or injury, and achieve a better quality of life.
St. Mary's "Building Hope, Restoring Lives" Campaign to build a new state-of-the-art Patient Pavilion for St. Mary's Kids will pave a brighter future for New York City’s children and families with special needs.
The building project consists of the modernization of St. Mary's existing 1950's era building and construction of a new state-of-the-art patient pavilion to provide much needed additional space for rehabilitation, patient care, education, and family visitation.
The new building will boast enhanced delivery of patient care, a rehabilitation wing with expanded indoor and outdoor rehab space, community areas to foster healing and growth, family suites, and an overall ample environment for pediatric care.
The modernization project will not add patient beds, but rather will bring St. Mary's further in line with today's standards for pediatric care by adding more space for the everyday care St. Mary's provides to over 4,000 children and their families.
Key highlights of the building project include:
- A new Rehabilitation Wing with state-of-the-art rehab equipment and an endless pool to accommodate multiple modes of therapy.
- Outdoor space complete with a walking track, sidewalks, and road signs will give patients a home-like environment and promote community reintegration.
- Right-sized patient rooms, replacing cramped 4 to 5-bedded rooms with mostly doubles. No new beds will be added – St. Mary's will remain a 97-bed facility.
- Family suites for overnight visitation to promote family education and integration skills prior to discharge.
- 58 new parking spots to eliminate on-street parking and allow families and visitors easier access.
- A permanent home for PS 23Q, St. Mary's onsite public school.
- An expanded exterior entrance and covered portico to better accommodate ambulances, visitors and community children arriving by bus.
- Sustainable design elements, including the use of renewable materials and energy efficient lighting systems.
Anticipated to open in Fall 2012, the new Patient Pavilion will transform the lives of children for generations to come.
Areas of Expertise
- Rehabilitation (Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy)
- Inpatient Services
- Home Care
- Early Intervention
- Traumatic Brain Injury and Coma Recovery
- Pediatric Feeding Disorders
- Healing Arts and Therapeutic Activities
- Medical Day Care
- Palliative Care
- Pastoral Care
- Complementary Care
- Research Institute
For more information on St. Mary's Healthcare System for Children and the new Patient Pavilion, visit www.stmaryskids.org.